Sunday 16 April 2017

How To Replace Passport If It Is Lost Or Stolen While You're Abroad

British Passport

The one thing you don’t want to lose while you’re on holiday is your passport.

Whether you’ve left your travel document somewhere or it’s been stolen from you, the experience is enough to induce panic in even the most experienced traveller.

But there are steps you can take to solve the inconvenient problem.

The first thing you must do is act quickly. has warned travellers to report the passport lost or stolen as soon as possible.

It added: “This will reduce the risk of anyone else using your passport or your identity.

“You can report a lost or stolen passport for someone else if they can’t do it themselves.”

You can report your passport lost or stolen at

This website has information for all the different British embassies around the world.

Choose the country you’re currently in and you’ll find the address of the nearest High Commission along with relevant contact details.

You can also download a ‘Lost or stolen passport notification’ form from this link.

Once completed, you’ll have to post, fax or take this form to your nearest British embassy. advised: “Check if you need to make an appointment first if you’re taking it in.”

British Passport

If you don’t need to travel urgently, you can apply for a replacement passport from abroad. lists all the different costs and time it will take to get your new travel document, which vary depending on the country you’re in.

In Australia for instance, your application should take about six weeks and a standard passport will cost you £83.

You’ll need two identical photos, any other passports you might have for different counties and a card to pay online.

If you have to travel urgently, you might be able to get an emergency travel document.

The Embassy, High Commission or Consulate have the power to grant you this if necessary, but it will cost you £100. first advises you to check whether the country you’re in accepts emergency travel documents.

It added: “You can use an emergency travel document to travel to your destination through a maximum of five countries. You can also normally use it to return to where you are now if you live in the country you’re applying from.

“Your travel plans (countries and dates) will be printed on your emergency travel document. If you change your travel plans once you have your emergency travel document, you’ll need to apply for a new one.”

To be eligible for this option, you’ll have to bring a passport photo, proof of travel plans and police report if your passport has been stolen.

You’ll usually get your emergency passport on the same day of your appointment.

This emergency travel document will be retained by UK border security when you re-enter the UK.

You may be able to claim back the costs to replace your passport through your travel insurance.

But be aware insurance companies do not cover you if your passport is stolen abroad and it was not locked away in a safety deposit box at a hotel.



Etiam at libero iaculis, mollis justo non, blandit augue. Vestibulum sit amet sodales est, a lacinia ex. Suspendisse vel enim sagittis, volutpat sem eget, condimentum sem.